1.24.2010

Nathan's Lightning McQueen Cake

For Nathan's birthday I decided to have a 'Cars' theme. He loves the movie and it would be fairly easy to do. The hardest part was the cake, I really wanted to do a 3-D version of Lightning, the main character, I watch enough cake decorating shows that I thought I could do it. And I did!

I made two cakes and put them together for some height, and then carved out a decent shape of a car.
Nathan was pretty excited about his cake, although on Friday and Saturday he kept talking about a Luigi cake, which is another character, so I had to tell him he was getting Lightning and how cool it was.

I made marshmallow fondant to cover the cake, which was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. The hardest part was getting the color right, Lightning is a very red car but's extremely hard to turn anything white red. Overall I am very happy with the results
The red nose looking thing is supposed to be a symbol for Rust-eze, Lightning racing sponser. Also fun fact Lightning is number 95 because that is the year Pixar released their first full-length feature, 'Toy Story'. Something I really like in the movie is that the tires are Lightyear tires, I think that things like that are fun in movies.
Nathan was really happy with his cake and did an awesome job blowing out his candle!

6 comments:

bunchocoffeys said...

I never realized that was what the 95 was for! You did such an awesome job! Happy Birthday Nathan!

Lindsey said...

AWESOME JOB! i love the cake! you did so good! i've never tried coloring fondant, but i'd imagine it'd be a pain. you did great!
and i loved all the trivia as well! i didn't realize the 95 and lightyear related back to toy story! how awesome. jeff will be excited when i tell him. :)

Trent and Candice said...

You did an awesome job. That is a really cute cake.

Rachel said...

WOW! That is so cool Mandy! Talk about dedicated mom to make such a cool birthday cake. I couldn't ever do anything like that- and I watch cake decorating shows. :)

amanda said...

you really did do awesome! Did you actually eat it because it looks to good to have eaten.Oh and I want to know how making it went :)

Frieda said...

Awesome Cake! The fondant (or FONDONT as the 'cake boss' guy says) was really good. Who knew fondant could taste good? Way to go Mandy! Look at the smile on Nathan's face-he loved it!